What is a Spouse Visa?

International students who wish to study abroad have a lingering doubt in their minds, which is, whether to leave their families behind or not. The dependent visa is one of the powerful tools allowed by foreign countries that help spouses to stay with their partners, while they are studying. In this article, we are going to discuss about the countries that allow international students to bring their spouses.

International students can look for opportunities to travel with their families either through study or work visa. Some of the countries that allow students to bring their family members along are Canada, the UK, New Zealand, Spain, etc.

Spouse Visa UK

On a student visa, the partner and children (dependents) may be able to come to the UK or stay longer in the UK. However, for this, students must fulfill any one of the following conditions:

  • A full-time student on a postgraduate level course that lasts 9 months or longer
  • A new government-sponsored student for a course that lasts longer than 6 months
  • A doctorate extension scheme student

Also, the partner and child of a student must have a certain amount of money available to them. This is in addition to the money students must have to support themselves. But, how much money they require depends on where a student is studying. They must have either: £845 a month (for up to 9 months) for courses in London or £680 a month (for up to 9 months) for courses outside London.

Spouse Visa Canada

The spouses, common-law partner and dependent children can come to Canada if you are a full-time student. They may be eligible for a work or study permit, or a visitor visa as well. The spouses of students shall be eligible for an open work permit. Note that the spouse or common-law partner’s work permit shall be valid for the same period as the students’ study permit.

  • If you have children under the age of 18, you must provide proof that your children are enrolled in school in Denmark.
  • If you have children between the ages of 18 and 21, you must provide proof that your children are financially dependent on you.

Spouse Visa USA

A lot of F1 students come to the United States with their families. The F2 visa is for a dependent spouse or an unmarried child who is under the age of 21. This F2 status allows dependents to stay in the United States during the F1 student’s program. Also, note that F1 students should prove that they have financial support to fund their dependents on F-2 status. Note that F2 dependents are not eligible to work in the U.S. However, F2 dependents are able to study at IUPUI part-time. On the other hand, school-age children (up to 18) can study in primary and high school in the U.S.

Many J1 exchange visitors come to the U.S. with their families. The J2 Visa is for a dependent spouse or an unmarried child who is below 21. The J2 status allows dependents to stay in the U.S. during the J-1 visitor’s program. Note that the work authorization for J2 dependents can only be approved by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service. The funding or financial support conditions must also be kept in mind. Apart from this, J2 dependents can enroll in IUPUI courses as part-time or full-time students.  

Spouse Visa Australia

As per the subclass 500 student visa, one can include family members when he / she lodges the visa application. In case of student visas, a family member is students’ partner or dependent child of the student and his / her partner, who is unmarried and has not turned 18 years.

It is important that students should declare their family members in their student visa application even if they do not plan to travel to Australia with them. In case, students do not do this, their family members shall not be eligible for a student visa to join them in Australia.

New Zealand Spouse Visa

If a student holds a New Zealand student visa, they can support a visitor visa for their partner and children. One can also support a work visa for their partner, or student visas for their dependent children. With a visitor visa, the partner and child can visit the students and stay for the same length of time as the students’ visa.

With a work visa, the partner of a student can work in any occupation and for any employer in New Zealand. On the other hand, if the dependent children get student visas, they can study at a primary and secondary school as domestic students in New Zealand.

Spouse Visa France

Children and spouses can be allowed to stay in France while a student studies, however, this is conditional. These conditions may include having enough finance and living space. These cases are decided on an individual basis at the France embassy, and special consideration can be given to a case if students are able to explain their situation to the consulate effectively. 

Spouse Visa Spain

The family (spouse, common-law partner, and children who are under 18 or those with a disability who are not objectively able to serve to their own needs) of the study visa holder can apply for a visa to enter and stay in Spain for the same duration as the main student visa holder.

Apart from having a visa, the student foreigner must also meet the requirements like having the financial means to support the family, giving evidence of family ties or relationships, a medical certificate that he / she does not suffer from any disease that could have a serious impact (if the stay is for more than 6 months). Also, students need to also submit proof of the absence of a criminal record in the countries of residence over the past 5 years, for any conduct that is considered a criminal offence in Spain.

If the duration of the stay of students is more than 6 months, then their family members shall also have to apply for a foreigner’s identification card within 1 month, after arriving in Spain.

Spouse Visa Netherlands

On a student visa, in order to live in the Netherlands with your child and partner, you need a residence permit. Generally, the family members joining someone on a Netherlands study visa can stay for the same amount of time as the family member, they are about to join. They shall also have the same work entitlements.

Spouse Visa Germany

Children and spouses are allowed to stay in Germany, while the students study there, but this is conditional. This includes having enough finances, living space, residence period, legal age, basic knowledge of German etc. The cases are decided on an individual basis at the German embassy.

Scroll to Top